If it’s been a little while since you’ve seen a dentist, you may be wondering if regular dental visits are really necessary. Your teeth feel just fine. They look fine, too. Do you really need to see a dentist to make sure they’re healthy?
The answer is, of course, yes! Seeing a dentist like Dr. Barton at Harmony Dentistry regularly is important for your oral health. But don’t just take our word for it. Read on and find out why preventive dentistry in Westfield is so important.
How Often Should You Go To The Dentist? Every Six Months!
First, what do “regular” dental visits mean? All major dental associations recommend that patients see the dentist every six months. There are a few reasons for this. First, most dental insurance plans cover twice-yearly dental visits, so you can get two checkups per year for free.
During your checkup, you’ll also have bacteria-filled plaque and tartar removed from your teeth. Tartar can’t be removed with at-home brushing alone, and six months is a good interval for teeth cleanings to help control bacteria in your mouth.
Finally, regularly visiting at an interval of about six months allows Dr. Barton to notice changes in your oral health. She can compare your oral health to your previous visits, and find subtle changes to your teeth and gums that could indicate oral health problems.
Why Should I See The Dentist Every Six Months? 6 Reasons To Schedule Today
Seeing a dentist every six months is simply the best way to keep your mouth healthy. And if you're overdue for an appointment, here are 6 reasons why you should contact Harmony Dentistry for a consultation now.
- Identify oral health problems early – Above all else, frequent dental visits let dentists like Dr. Barton identify potential oral health problems early. This saves you time and money. For example, if Dr. Barton notices that an old crown has failed, she can replace it before the underlying tooth decays and becomes infected.
- Reverse gum disease before it becomes permanent – Gingivitis, the first stage of gum disease, is reversible. But further stages of gum disease are not. Six-month dental visits are the best way to identify gum disease when it’s in this early stage, and get the care you need to reverse and eliminate it.
- Prevent bad breath – Nobody wants bad breath. Oral health problems like gum disease, dry mouth, tartar buildup, and more can contribute to smelly breath. A dentist can diagnose the problem and keep your breath fresh.
- Detect oral cancer early – Oral cancer often goes undetected unless it’s noticed by a dentist. Dentists use oral cancer screenings to look for potential signs of oral cancer, and make sure your mouth is completely healthy.
- Control plaque, tartar, and cavities – Over time, plaque and tartar build up on your teeth, and can contribute to the formation of cavities. During your routine six-month appointment, your hygienist will clean your teeth to remove plaque and tartar, and keep your smile healthy.
- Identify bad habits and keep them in check – Your dentist can identify bad oral health habits like teeth grinding, smoking, chewing non-food objects, and more. Together, you can come up with ways to keep these habits in check and ensure your mouth is healthy.
Need A Dentist in Westfield? Come To Harmony Dentistry!
Whether you’re new to the area, you’re searching for a new dentist, or you just haven't seen the dentist in a while, Dr. Jessica Barton is here for you. At our judgment-free office, we serve patients of all ages and from all walks of life. Routine dental care is important for your oral health and your overall health. So don’t wait. Contact us online or give us a call at (317) 399-1208 to schedule a checkup and get the care you need right away.